Spring is on the horizon, more and more of us are receiving our vaccinations, and March is National Nutrition Month! Ensuring that your elderly loved ones receive adequate nutrition is incredibly important — good nutrition affects overall health, aids in disease prevention, and improves quality of life. We’ve put together a list of healthy recipes and meal options to share with your elderly relatives (and the rest of your family, too!).
Make It Together
Got your vaccine alraady? Hooray! It’s been a long, long year. If you’ve been separated from your loved ones due to social distancing and quarantining, visiting your relative’s house and cooking a meal for them can be a great way to reconnect and share memories together.
- Turkey and Root Vegetable Meatloaf
- Rosemary Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homemade Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Tomato Mozzarella and Basil Quinoa Salad
Make It Ahead
If you’re short on time or are looking for something that you could easily drop off, try one of these tasty meals below. Prep and cook the meal ahead of time, and then it can be stored in the freezer or enjoyed whenever is convenient. These are all healthy recipes for the elderly.
- Chicken and Vegetable Hand Pies
- Mini Vegetable Lasagna Cups
- Weekday Ragu with Veggies
- One-Pot Healthy Beef Stroganoff
Not Vaccinated Yet?
If you’re still waiting to receive your vaccination, or if you live far away from your loved one, you can also send them a healthy meal! There are tons of great services available for this.
- FreshDirect delivers same-day chef-prepared dinners and offers vegetarian and under 500 calorie options while allowing you to filter meals by sodium, cholesterol, sugars, and more.
- Freshly prepares gluten- and peanut-free meals with a wide selection of low-calorie, low-carb, dairy-free, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly options to choose from. All meals are freshly prepared, refrigerated for shipment, and just need to be reheated.
- FACTOR makes fresh meals using lean proteins, low glycemic carbs, and healthy fats to optimize the mind and body. They also offer a selection of meals that accommodate paleo, keto, and dairy-free diets. Meals are delivered fresh to your door.
- Home Bistro prepares restaurant quality, gourmet meals like Pecorino Romano Turkey Kabobs and Chianti Braised Short Ribs and Vegetables. They offer a variety of dietary preferences like paleo, vegetarian, diabetic-friendly, and heart-healthy. All meals are freshly prepared, refrigerated for shipment, and just need to be reheated.
Happy National Nutrition Month! We hope these ideas bring you some inspiration. Spring is on its way! As always, we’re here to support you. Reach out today!