CREVETTES a la MODE: Greek-style Shrimp with Rigatoni
Now that the weekend is here you may have extra time to whip up something special. This recipe only takes about 60 minutes to make. I’ve made it many times as the main dish for family, dinner parties, pot luck, etc. and inevitably I am asked for the recipe. So heat up some Italian bread, pour the wine and Bon Appetite!
Yield: Four servings
- 5 tbsp of olive oil ( I usually use 3)
- 1 tsp dried crumbled oregano
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs medium-size fresh, raw shrimp – about 48
- 2 cups peeled, cubed tomatoes 1 lb if you use fresh tomatoes
- 1/8 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 lb rigatoni, ziti spirals, etc (Recommended but not essential) (I always use more)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ lb crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil (or more)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and add garlic. Cook briefly, stirring and add the tomatoes. Cook about 1 minute and add the wine, salt & pepper. Add basil and oregano.
- Cook over moderate heat for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and devein shrimp, sprinkle shrimp with salt & pepper
- Heat the remaining 3 tbsn of oil in a large skillet and add shrimp.
- Cook quickly, about 1 minute, just until shrimp turn red. Stir as they cook. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spoon the shrimp and any pan juices into a small baking dish. Sprinkle the shrimp with crumbled feta cheese and spoon the tomato sauce over.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta to taste. Do Not overcook. Serve the pasta with the shrimp mixture spooned over